Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 16: The "S" Formula


We are so lucky and so blessed to have so many opportunities to hear and/or read inspirational messages from church leaders.  Not only do we have General Conference, but there are various other conferences, firesides, and devotionals, where our church leaders come together to speak to us, to edify us, to teach us and to converse with us.  This week's talk was chosen from a 2001 BYU Women's Conference, in which President Thomas S. Monson, then first counselor in the first presidency delivered the closing remarks.  His talk was entitled, "The "S" Formula."

President Monson states, "Now, what does God expect us to become? The way will not be easy. The path of life has its pitfalls; the battleground, its ambushes. Dear sisters, may I suggest three guidelines for our times? First, strengthen your home and family. Second, share your talents. Third, serve your God." 


Each of us has burdens, pitfalls, struggles.  I know that there are many times that I struggle to feel secure in my womanhood, to feel secure as a mother, as a wife, as a daughter, as HIS daughter.  I go through ups and downs, through worries and doubt, through sadness and grief.  I worry that I am not enough, that I am not doing all I can do to be all I can be.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.  Throughout this talk I found myself laughing out loud (he tells some great stories), pondering deeply on President Monson's words and making a firm decision to follow his "S" Formula.  By strengthening my home and family, sharing my talents with others, with my ward, with my family, with everyone, and by serving God to the fullest, based on my abilities, I KNOW that I will be blessed.  I KNOW that the Lord knows me, He knows my heart, He knows my desires and He wants me to succeed. 

I truly hope that you enjoy this talk as much as I did.





MP3 Link



Too frequently women underestimate
their influence for good. Well could you follow
the formula given by the Lord in the Doctrine
and Covenants pertinent to the construction of
the Kirtland Temple: "Establish a house, even a
house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of
faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a
house of order, a house of God" (D&C 88:119).
In such a house will be found happy, smiling
children who have been taught the truth by
precept and example. In a Latter‐day Saint
home, children are not simply tolerated but
welcomed, not commanded but encouraged,
not driven but guided, not neglected but loved.
President Heber J. Grant counseled, "If we as
parents will so order our lives that our children
will know and realize in their hearts that we are
in very deed Latter‐day Saints, that we actually
know what we are taking about, they, by
seeking after the Lord, will get that same
testimony." To read more go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment