Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Week 15: The Voice of the Lord **Repost**

The inspiration for today's talk came from some scriptures I read this week in John 10 verses 3-5 and 27. ..."and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"


I was wondering how it is that we can know the voice of the Lord. I thought about the times I have felt the promptings and wondered if when I was being called by a stranger would I not recognize the voice and scatter because I knew that it was not the voice of my Shepherd.

I learned from this talk that perhaps at times I have headed counterfeit prompting and failed to recognize the voice of the Lord. But I also learned 5 steps in determining the validity and where promptings come from. I hope that as we all try to know the voice of our Savior we will find comfort that he too knows us and leads us each personally and tenderly back to our heavenly home.

**This months Visiting Teaching Message is on personal revelation. This is a great talk to help when teaching that message.

Media Links


GERALD N. LUND


Today I would like to speak with you about a topic that is of the most singular importance to every person here. It is a topic that is especially important to you who are young adults and facing some of the most important decisions of your life--mission, education, career, marriage. That topic is personal revelation, or hearing the voice of the Lord.

When we are baptized and confirmed members of the Church, we are commanded to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. When you think about it, that is an incredible gift. Imagine receiving a member of the Godhead as our personal companion. We are told that our mission in life is to "come unto Christ, and be perfected in him" (Moroni 10:32). But that is not a simple thing. Life is too complex to provide a rule book that covers every situation. Instead, the Lord has given us the Holy Ghost to serve as our teacher, watchman, mentor, and guide.

I believe that one of the most important challenges of our mortal probation is learning to hear, recognize, and then follow the voice of the Lord. I would like to say that again: One of the most important--if not the most important--challenges in learning how to come unto Christ and to be perfected in him is to learn to hear, to recognize, and then to follow the voice of the Lord. Read the rest HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment