Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Week 50: The Power and Protection of Worthy Music

This is my favorite time of year. I couldn't help but to turn on Christmas music early in November. Before my family could tease me I declared to them that listening to Christmas music makes me happy. The music from this time of year is so ingrained in my mind and heart that it is the only music I can actually remember lyrics too year round! Many a late night feeding, and rocking of my children have been to the humming and singing of "Silent Night".

How blessed we are to have such beautiful music in our lives. Music has always been a powerful tool for healing in my life. I can list a song for almost every special memory that I have. Songs such as, "Be Still My Soul", "There is a Green Hill Far Away", "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", and " I am a Child of God", have at times come to my mind in answer to prayers. Beautiful music from modern LDS artist's like Jenny Phillips, Hillary Weeks, Jenny Jordan Frogley, Jon Schmidt, and Michael McLean have also given me courage and strength during great challenges and trials.

I would like to add my testimony to Elder Nelson's that worthy music does bring power and protection to our lives. May I challenge us all to review the music that we choose to listen too and remove music that does not invite worthy thoughts or the spirit to dwell in our hearts and minds. We can not be so brazen to think that listening to unclean music will not hurt us. Our minds are very tender and can be harmed by very small negative thoughts. Our only protection is to refuse to put anything that is unworthy into our ears. If you have had an experience with choosing worthy music and would like to share it with us please feel free to leave a comment.

May you all have a very blessed and enjoyable Christmas season and enjoy the precious music that testifies of our Savior, Jesus Christ's birth.

All my love,




MP3 Link



It is a joy for my wife, Wendy, and me to be with you, my dear brothers and sisters. From the BYU Marriott Center in Utah, we are broadcasting to many congregations throughout the world. Thanks to each of you for being with us.

We extend a special welcome to those who will soon be finishing high school and are attending a CES fireside broadcast for the first time. As you enroll in institutions of higher learning and continue your education, I hope you will participate in institute classes so that you may have this strong spiritual resource to balance your secular learning. You will also have opportunities to attend future CES firesides such as this. Take advantage of those occasions. They will enlighten and encourage you.

The title of my message tonight is “Power and Protection Provided by Worthy Music.” This topic is especially applicable to young adults. As you know, people of your age have made many significant contributions as writers, composers, and connoisseurs of worthy music.

Power

The power of worthy music was felt tonight as we sang these words in our opening hymn:

Come, ye children of the Lord,
Let us sing with one accord.
Let us raise a joyful strain
To our Lord who soon will reign.1

Through music we raised our voices in powerful praise and prayer.

Such a hymn provides a pattern of worship that is pleasing to God. His prophet taught us to “praise the Lord with singing, with music, . . . and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving” (D&C 136:28). Read the entire talk HERE and a condensed version is found in the December 2009, Ensign, page 13-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment