Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Week 41: Let Us Rejoice Together

This week is the fifth week of the month. It doesn't happen often but I decided that when it does it would be a good time to turn the club over to you the readers. What this means is that this week take the time to find a great talk and feel free to comment about it on this post or you can email me at talkoftheweek@gmail.com and I will put the comment on for you.

Below are some great references in finding articles:

The opportunity to learn the gospel is just as important as the admonition to teach the gospel. In D&C 50: 22, we read the following: "Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." Let us teach and receive of one another so we can ALL be edified and rejoice together in the sweetness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Each General Conference it seems there are one or two talks that are especially meant just for me. Revelation for me to apply to my life at exactly the right moment. This past conference those two talks were on Sunday morning, October 5, 2008. The first one, "Our Hearts Knit as One" was given by President Henry B. Eyring and the second one "Christian Courage: The price of Discipleship" was given by Elder Robert D. Hales.

    I would like to share with you how they touched my heart and lifted my spirit.

    I am sort of a do-it-yourself kind of gal. I like singles rather than doubles in tennis because I can control the outcome better. A lot of things in life can be achieved by individuals but President Eyring teaches us that unity cannot come to us as individuals. "We must seek it and qualify for it with others." He goes on to say that this is one of the reasons that we gather for church and other meetings. He teaches that unity can bring us great joy and that unity will multiply our power to serve.

    One of my favorite quotes from this talk was, "The great peacemaker, the restorer of unity, is the one who finds a way to help people find the truth they share. That truth they share is always greater and more important to them than their differences."

    So powerful and especially poignant at the conclusion of this Presidential Election. I feel so strongly that even though I did not cast a vote for our next president, that it is my duty to support him with everything I can.

    The next talk really helped me solve a problem I was having IMMEDIATELY. I was feeling stressed out and I had just read this talk the night before when I realized that one of the reasons I was so stressed out was because I was harboring feelings of anger for several different people! I was mad at the dental hygenist for doing something to my teeth that made them hurt, I was mad at the cashier for ringing up my groceries wrong and costing me extra money, I was mad at the dry cleaner for misplacing my husbands pants and requiring an extra trip to go get them, I was mad at our friends in Virginia who were helping us with our unsold home their for not returning phone calls or emails...MAN! Being mad at all those people can be DRAINING! It was then that I remembered this quote and reread it:
    "We too have a great work to do, which will not be accomplished if we allow ourselves to stop and argue and be distracted. Instead we should muster Christian courage and move on."

    Wow. That was a wake-up call to me. I did have a lot to do. And I was not going to be able to get it done if I allowed this anger in my heart.

    I am so grateful for the gospel. I am so grateful for our prophet and apostles and I wish that everyone could know and believe. Sweet is the word.

    ReplyDelete