Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Week 12: Don't Leave for Tomorrow What You Can Do Today

Recently, my husband and I were blessed to attend an adult session of our Stake Conference. I say blessed because finding a babysitter for 6 children on a night when everyone else would also be needing a babysitter is a big feat. I entered into the stake building, and found a seat towards the very front of the chapel. There were many people in attendance and I wanted to make sure I heard every word that was spoken, grasped every small detail, and that I could truly feel the spirit as it whispered truth into my soul. Of course, I know that I didn't need to be right upfront to accomplish this, but somehow it made me focus harder and listen longer. Much of the conference focused on the family, on rearing children in righteousness, and bringing them up in truth and light. Basically, they pounded the principle that “Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children.” (Family: A Proclamation to the World, 1995)


I took so many notes! I wrote down ideas as they came to me, little treasures that stood out to me in each talk, and quiet whisperings of the spirit.

I won't share all of my notes, that's a whole post all by itself, however a few of the most important things were:

"Being a mother is the highest calling I can have!!!!!!!!!" (Yes, I put that many exclamation points in my notes...)

Go forth with faith (maybe put a sign on the door that says this, so the kids see this it as they leave the house each day)<---this was a little bit of inspiration I received as I listened

Agency is not the right to do as we please but the right to do what is right

The home is the basis of righteous living.

I went home so filled with inspiration, with thoughts and ideas. I was filled to the brim with love for my children and love for the gospel. Then I got home. Somehow in the few short weeks since Stake Conference I've kind of forgotten the urgency I had to get home and put some of the thoughts I had into practice. I just keep putting of till tomorrow! To reinforce those thoughts, I decided to make the topic of my post this month, Family, more specifically raising children in light and truth and bringing our families to the gospel. I must have have read over a dozen talks trying to find just the right one to share with all of you, I finally chose the talk "Don't Leave for Tomorrow What You Can Do Today" given by Claudio R. M. Costa of the Seventy in the October 2007 General Conference. While the title of this talk may not sound like it's about family, it truly is. He explains the urgency we have to teach our children today, to offer acts of love and kindness to our family today because we never know what tomorrow might bring.






Read HERE




1 comment:

  1. I love the adult sessions. For some reason they are always my favorite, followed by the youth morningside that I get to crash since I sneak in with my oldest children. :) Glad yours was so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete