Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 39: Charity Never Faileth


Hello Friends,


This Week's talk is President Monson's talk from the 2010 General Relief Society Meeting. As I watched this talk, I realized how much I have come to love and revere our Prophet. It is amazing to me that he can bring us all to laughter without saying a word as he begins his talk. I am grateful for his powerful reminder of something I need much improvement with. He is a master teacher. His visual parables have given me much to ponder as I seek to apply his counsel. What powerful stories he shared! I appreciate his quote from Mother Teresa that "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." I also appreciate his insights about charity as it applies to how we look at each other.

How blessed we are to have a Prophet of God who speaks to us of things significant and applicable today. I think the Relief Society meeting is the perfect segway to prepare our hearts and minds to receive more direction from the Savior this coming weekend. I know as we prayerfully consider and prepare, answers will come and testimonies will be strengthened. Truly, we have the opportunity to sit at the feet of the Savior and be taught by the Spirit as we listen to Prophets and Apostles.

A wonderful Conference weekend to you,






MP3 Link

Our souls have rejoiced tonight and reached toward heaven. We have been blessed with beautiful music and inspired messages. The Spirit of the Lord is here. I pray for His inspiration to be with me now as I share with you some of my thoughts and feelings.

I begin with a short anecdote which illustrates a point I should like to make.
A young couple, Lisa and John, moved into a new neighborhood. One morning while they were eating breakfast, Lisa looked out the window and watched her next-door neighbor hanging out her wash.
“That laundry’s not clean!” Lisa exclaimed. “Our neighbor doesn’t know how to get clothes clean!”
John looked on but remained silent.
Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, Lisa would make the same comments.
A few weeks later Lisa was surprised to glance out her window and see a nice, clean wash hanging in her neighbor’s yard. She said to her husband, “Look, John—she’s finally learned how to wash correctly! I wonder how she did it.”
John replied, “Well, dear, I have the answer for you. You’ll be interested to know that I got up early this morning and washed our windows!”
Tonight I’d like to share with you a few thoughts concerning how we view each other. Are we looking through a window which needs cleaning? Are we making judgments when we don’t have all the facts? What do we see when we look at others? What judgments do we make about them?
Said the Savior, “Judge not.”1 He continued, “Why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”2 Or, to paraphrase, why beholdest thou what you think is dirty laundry at your neighbor’s house but considerest not the soiled window in your own house?
None of us is perfect. I know of no one who would profess to be so. And yet for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. We make judgments concerning their actions or inactions.
There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize. Thus the commandment: “Judge not.” Read the rest HERE.









1 comment:

  1. It was a great talk. And I love that painting you have at the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete