Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Volume III Week 1: A Gift Worthy of Added Care

Hello friends! Happy New Year!

As I look to the year ahead and consider changes I need and want to make in my life, spiritual changes are those I most desire. I was very impressed by "A Gift Worthy of Added Care," by Elder Neil L. Andersen in the December 2010 Ensign. I am grateful that the Ensign provides a medium for us to frequently read from Prophets and Apostles. I appreciate Elder Anderson's witness that the Holy Ghost:

  • enlightens our minds and fills our souls with joy
  • shows us what we should do
  • sanctifies us
  • can influence seekers of truth
  • is a gift for all if we diligently seek our way back to our heavenly home.
 Elder Andersen counseled us to make the gift of the Holy Ghost a conscious, daily, prayerful part of our lives. He encouraged us that even in our weaknesses, we can feel him and that we must pray, ask, and seek and then not be afraid when answers come into our mind and heart. We need to keep our hearts open to this gift. Elder Anderson cautions us to be vigilant about what we allow to influence our spirits and to provide quiet, reflective times for us and our children. He counseled us more than once to never postpone a prompting. He quotes the Lord, in speaking of His Second Coming, who emphasized that the gift of the Holy Ghost must be powerfully active among His Saints: "For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived--verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day" (D&C 45:57) He closes with a promise that as evil increases in the world, there will be a compensating power of the gift of the Holy Ghost for the righteous.

Wonderful promises and blessings for each of us,






MP3 Link



It has been more than 50 years, but I vividly remember Christmas morning 1959. With childish anticipation, I hoped desperately for a new bicycle. My older brother and sister and I shared the same bicycle, a 24-inch (61 cm) antique we had each used to learn to ride. It had long been less than stylish, and I had appealed to my parents for a new bicycle. Looking back, I am a little embarrassed that I did not have more sensitivity to the cost of such a present to a family with limited income.


Christmas morning came, and I leaped up the stairs from our basement bedroom. Running into the living room, I looked in vain for a bicycle. My heart dropped as I noticed a small present under my stocking, and I tried to control my disappointment.

As we sat as a family in the living room, my father asked me to get a knife from the adjoining kitchen so we could open a box holding a present for my brother. I walked into the small kitchen and fumbled for the light switch to find my way. As the light illuminated the room, my excitement soared. Right before me stood a beautiful black 26-inch (66 cm) bicycle! For many years I rode that bicycle, took care of it, watched over it, and befriended it—a gift long appreciated and treasured.

Read the rest HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment