Welcome to the Talk Of The Week Club. I began this club as a way to share my love of learning and growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My hope and desire is for you to learn and grow in your faith and love of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Each Thursday a new talk will be posted, come back, open your heart and mind, allow yourself to receive and I promise you will be spiritually fed.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Week 27: Mothers and Daughters

This month at Talk of the Week we are going to share our favorite conference talks from April. I chose this talk today because I remember so distinctly listening to it. I especially remember these two line from it;
"Popular culture today often makes women look silly, inconsequential, mindless, and powerless. It objectifies them and disrespects them and then suggests that they are able to leave their mark on mankind only by seduction—easily the most pervasively dangerous message the adversary sends to women about themselves."

"For example, they need to understand that when they wear clothing that is too tight, too short, or too low cut, they not only can send the wrong message to young men with whom they associate, but they also perpetuate in their own minds the fallacy that a woman’s value is dependent solely upon her sensual appeal. This never has been nor will it ever be within the righteous definition of a faithful daughter of God." 
Yes, this talk is titled "Mothers and Daughters" but it is addressed to any and all God fearing women of the church or the world for that matter. These two lines really gave me strength as a woman of God. I felt the lies that Satan has been perpetuating, even in my own life, were brought to light. Laid before my mind's eye to see the ugliness and the falsehood of the world's view of women. I felt as if scales came off my eyes and I was shown what the true beauty of God's daughters looks like. I have felt the idea behind these lines come to my mind many times over the past few months.  There are many more beautiful truths in this talk but these  lines keep coming to my mind so much I just feel it is so important to have the courage to teach it to our daughters, friends, neighbors and our own hearts.

One final thought that I really loved was this; "A mother-daughter relationship is where a daughter learns how to nurture by being nurtured. She is loved. She is taught and experiences firsthand what it feels like to have someone care about her enough to correct her while continuing to encourage and believe in her at the same time"
May we all look at our relationships with the mothers and daughters in our lives and have the desire to follow this beautiful advice to teach one another about nurturing, loving, correcting, encouraging and believing in each other. Our power is great as people of God and especially as women.

May you all have a beautifully blessed week,




MP3 Link






Brothers and sisters, six months ago I spoke in the priesthood session of general conference to fathers and sons. As you might expect, my 5 daughters, 24 granddaughters, and ever-increasing number of great-granddaughters have been asking for equal time. So today I will speak primarily to the mothers and daughters of the Church.

My dear wife, Barbara, has had an eternally significant influence on our daughters and granddaughters—and they, in turn, on her. Mothers and daughters play a critical role in helping each other explore their infinite possibilities, despite the undermining influences of a world in which womanhood and motherhood are being corrupted and manipulated.

Speaking to the women of the Church nearly a century ago, President Joseph F. Smith said: “It is not for you to be led by the women of the world; it is for you to lead the . . . women of the world, in everything that is praise-worthy, everything that is God-like, everything that is uplifting and . . . purifying to the children of men” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 184).

Sisters, we, your brethren, cannot do what you were divinely designated to do from before the foundation of the world. We may try, but we cannot ever hope to replicate your unique gifts. There is nothing in this world as personal, as nurturing, or as life changing as the influence of a righteous woman.

Read the rest HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment